If you can breathe, you can sing. Singing should be as natural as possible, before applying technicalities. Based on scientific studies, human skills and characteristics are either from nature or nurture. The singing voice is not strange to this. Even if you are born with a great singing voice, it is still necessary to practice in other to maintain or enhance it. And even if it is not innately within you, the truth is, your golden voice is just steps away from being unleashed. Here are some tips on how to improve your singing voice:
1. Be fit and do physical exercises. For guitarists or pianists,, their instrument is the guitar/ piano. For vocalists, your body is your instrument. Taking care of your health is a must as you need to have the stamina to endure an entire performance. Think of the concert artists, how do they last through one-hour performance? They do physical exercises to keep their body fit. Caring for our health help us to sing better as it helps you enhance your posture which is important in voice training.
2. Take healthy diet. Most singers experience acid reflux, a condition wherein you feel a burning sensation around the lower chest area. It dries and burns the vocal folds, which may eventually result to hoarseness of voice, laryngitis or throat cancer. This is just one of the many conditions that you may get from eating unhealthy foods. Abstain from unhealthy foods that will affect your vocal health!
3. Practice breathing exercises. Inhale. Exhale. One magic in hitting the right notes is doing proper breathing. Proper breathing is essential when one is learning how to sing better. It is a well-known trick shared by famous vocal performers before their performance. Breathing should come from your diaphragm, and not from your throat nor your chest. This is easily noticeable with your hand placed on your tummy. This will help you control your voice and sustain breath even through a long phrase.
4. Regular vocal warm up. Warm up your voice before singing. Another step one must not forget in voice training is to do warm ups! Similar to any strenuous activities, singing requires warm-up before the actual performance to avoid any strain or crack in the voice. It also helps in making your vocal cords relax at your vocal range. Practice with scales and different sounds using various mouth openings. Not only will this make your voice be at ease but also make your mouth relax as well.
5. Sing songs that you love. Whether it be singing in the shower or jamming with friends, it is very helpful to sing the songs you actually like and enjoy. Not only will you have a good time enjoying the song, you will also enhance your vocal prowess by doing it.
6. Record your voice and listen to it. The best way to improve on your voice training is to regularly check on your progress. In terms of singing, this can be done by videotaping or recording yourself or seeing yourself sing through a mirror. This can not only improve your singing abilities as you can see how you project your voice towards the audience, it will also help you boost your confidence as you can see and hear yourself first hand.
Have a vocal coach. Regardless if you are a complete beginner or a seasoned singer, it is necessary to keep up and be evaluated to improve on it. No skill is learned in isolation, and this includes singing. With good vocal coaches, they can easily help pinpoint your areas for improvements, discover vocal enhancement techniques, and primarily, teach you to take care of your voice — your voice that is unique among others! To find out more on how to sing better, check out some information about
One thought on “VOICE TRAINING TECHNIQUE”
Thank you sir… I found this very helpful